Water Margin Protection
Coir-Logs are biodegradable, coconut fibre bio-rolls. The dense coir fibre Coir-Log rolls dissipate wave energy, protect against water scour, and retain the bank while plants develop.
Consequently general water quality is improved through the ability to control erosion and counteract non-point source pollution. The Coir-Logs can be used in conjunction with our Coir-Pallet – which are mattress substrates that work in harmony with nature, to protect and support banks, and shorelines, while promoting restoration of wetland environments.
Hy-Tex Coir-Logs provide an ideal, stable growth substrate for marginal plants – encouraging rapid establishment of plant colonies and healthy root systems.
They are therefore particularly beneficial on projects where no suitable soil medium exists (e.g. steel/timber pile, or gabion, faces and floating islands).
Native plants can be selected for their suitability to physical conditions, the feed and cover offered to aquatic species and wildlife, or aesthetic reasons.
As roots mature to create an effective binding matrix the coir fibre progressively degrades, leaving a vegetation framework for a full wetland community.
Coir-Logs are made from virgin coconut fibre encased in knotted coir or polypropylene nets.
Coir-Logs can have optional pre-formed plant holes incorporated in them to simplify placing of marginal plants, and special compounds can also be added to enhance moisture retention on sites with fluctuating water levels.
Unique Qualities of Coir Logs
Coir logs possess several unique qualities that make them stand out in erosion prevention:
- Natural Fibers: Coir logs are made from the husk of coconuts, providing a natural and biodegradable solution.
- Flexibility: The flexibility of coir logs allows them to easily conform to the shape of the land, providing a snug fit against contours.
- Water Absorption: Coir logs excel in water absorption, reducing runoff and aiding in moisture retention, which is crucial for preventing erosion.
Factors Influencing Coir Log Prices
Several factors contribute to the pricing of coir logs:
- Size and Length: Larger coir logs designed for extensive projects may have a higher price tag.
- Density: The density of coir logs can vary, affecting their price. Higher-density logs may cost more but offer enhanced durability.
- Manufacturer and Supplier: Different manufacturers and suppliers may offer varying prices based on their production methods and quality standards.
While coir logs may seem more expensive than traditional straw solutions, their longevity and effectiveness make them a cost-effective choice in the long run. The upfront investment in coir logs can lead to substantial savings by reducing the need for frequent replacements and maintenance.
Key Advantages of Coir Logs:
- 🌿 Eco-Friendly: Coir logs are a natural and biodegradable option, aligning with Ireland’s commitment to sustainable practices.
- 💧 Water Retention: The inherent ability of coir to retain water aids in preventing soil erosion by stabilizing the soil structure.
- 🌱 Plant Compatibility: Coir logs support vegetation growth, promoting the establishment of native plants crucial for erosion control.
- 🔄 Longevity: Coir logs have a longer lifespan compared to traditional methods, providing sustained erosion prevention.